Climate change adaptation expert
Make a difference to today’s world. Join WWF.
WWF Hungary is seeking to recruit a dynamic, reliable and committed
Climate change adaptation expert (full-time, based in Budapest)
The main responsibility of this position is to contribute to the technical implementation of the Climate Action LIFE project “Municipalities as integrators and coordinators in adaptation to climate change“.
The overall goal of the project is improving climate resilience of vulnerable municipalities in Hungary by reducing their risks stemming from climate change. For this purpose, the project will demonstrate on the field the integration of sustainable ecosystem-based water management approaches into natural resources management strategies and land use planning practice of local governments.
Furthermore this position will contribute to WWF’s climate and energy programme in Hungary. This includes development and management of various projects, advocacy and expertise for a climate resilient and low-carbon society and for nature based climate adaptation.
The climate adaptation expert reports to WWF Hungary’s conservation manager and is based in Budapest.
Your duties will include:
- Major responsibilities under the LIFE project on climate adaptation of rural communities and local municipalities
The climate adaptation expert will provide support and mentoring to the partner municipalities and other settlements, specifically:
- will support with technical input and guidance the preparation of local vulnerability assessments on the pilot sites;
- will guide the development, planning and implementation of the prototypes of natural water retention measures on the pilot sites;
- will involve other stakeholders, like land owners, farmers, private companies, relevant authorities, etc.;
- will organise the monitoring and prepare the replication of tested measures in other sites;
- will provide advice and support to other municipalities across Hungary regarding climate change adaptation and natural water retention issues.
- Other responsibilities
The climate change adapation expert will also be expected to support the planning and implementation of other WWF projects for a more sustainable and climate resilient future, for energy transition and for low-carbon society. The main lines of this work will be:
- Developing climate adaptation and energy projects to various EU funds;
- Implementing and reporting climate adaptation and energy projects financed by EU funds;
- Contributing to the development of the conservation programme;
- Participating in and representation at events, conferences, workshops related to the field of expertise;
- Representing WWF position for different stakeholders, advocacy in the field of expertise;
- Building and maintaining partnerships with relevant stakeholders and allies;
- Contributing to WWF communication;
- Monitoring, reporting and evaluating progress and results.
We expect from you:
- Corresponding university degree or post-graduate degree (nature/environmental sciences or related technical/engineering fields).
- Expertise in the field of climate change impacts and adaptation, including practical nature based adaptation solutions.
- At least 3 years of work experience, including proven experience in working with municipalities.
- General understanding of environmental challenges and the social, economic and political processes interlinked with them.
- Expertise in integrated water resources management is a strong advantage.
- Experience in technical implementation of projects on the field is a plus.
- Excellent networker, with good organizational and interpersonal skills, with ability to function in a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in Hungarian and English.
- Proactive, with a can-do attitude; self-starter, quick learner, good team player.
- Able to work well within the national and larger international WWF team, as well as independently.
- Project management skills: timely implementation, ability to plan and coordinate diverse parallel activities with several participants, accurate in administration.
- Passion and dedication to WWF’s mission and environmental protection.
We are offering:
- Opportunity to make a difference for Hungary and for WWF;
- Challenging and fulfilling activities in one of Europe’s most exciting eco-regions as part of the largest conservation NGO network of the world;
- Friendly and highly professional working atmosphere in an international context;
- Varying tasks and independent work style;
- A pleasant working atmosphere and great learning environment;
- A competitive salary according to NGO standards.
If you are interested in joining the global WWF family, email your application documents including your motivation letter and CV (in English) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: 30.09.2017
Please understand that we can only reply to short-listed candidates. For more information on WWF Hungary, kindly check the website: www.wwf.hu